The items on the gear list below will be required over the four days. Each day you will only carry the personal belongings you require in a lightweight day pack.
Essential Gear List
When you arrive at our central hotel please be dressed to begin your walk. Please have one small suitcase or similar which our staff will arrange to have transferred each day to your evening's accommodation. Whilst walking on track you will only carry your daily requirement in a lightweight daypack.
- Lace-up hiking boots. See our footwear guide for specific recommendations or this walk.
We can not over-emphasise the importance of appropriate footwear. Running shoes, sand shoes, elasticised boots and similar are not acceptable. However, trail running shoes are acceptable on the Kangaroo Island Signature Walk. Boots/shoes must be worn in to minimise the risk of blisters. If you haven’t worn your boots for awhile please dust them off, take them for a walk and make sure the soles are still firmly attached to the boot. There is nothing worse than your boot failing on day one. You will be unable to commence the walk without the appropriate footwear, so please feel free to contact us for more details. We are more than happy to discuss footwear with you.
- Polar fleece jacket (preferred) or woollen jumper/pullover
- 2 x long-sleeved shirt (good sun protection)
- Thermal top
- 2 x t-shirts
- Shorts and/or light walking trousers
- 3 x hiking socks
- Swimmers (summer only and small body chamios or towel)
- Lightweight indoor footwear (thongs/sports sandals for lodges and cottages)
- 2 x 1-litre water bottle
- Change of clothes for evenings (casual)
- Travel mug for hot drinks out on the track
- Any personal medication, including anti-inflammatories and EpiPens
* DENIM AND COTTON CLOTHING ARE NOT ACCEPTABLE FOR WALKING
- Quality day pack (Osprey Kestrel 32 litre)
- Waterproof jacket
- Lunch container and cutlery
- Basic toiletries (sunscreen, after sun care, insect repellent
* Tip: Layering of clothing has long been the basis for dressing in the outdoors and the gear list above follows this principle. When the temperature drops, we add another layer of insulation; if it rains, we add a rain shell on top and when it’s warm and dry, we strip off a layer.
* Your guides will do a thorough gear check prior to departure. If you are unsure about anything on the gear list, please call us or talk to your local outdoor adventure store.